- Much of Canada’s economy comes from oil and gas exploration, extraction, transport, upgrading, refining and processing;
- Hundreds of thousands of Canadians work directly in the oil and gas sector;
- 100,000 oil and gas workers are now unemployed;
- Millions more benefit from the jobs and profits created by oil and gas development;
- Canadian governments collect $17 billion dollars annually from the oil and gas industry which is used to fund essential government programs and services;
- Canada is a world leader in the responsible development of its oil and gas resources;
- Pipelines are the safest mode of transportation for oil, gas and fluids; and
- A lack of pipelines to new markets means Canadian producers often receive far less than market rates for their oil.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to vocally defend the oil and gas industry and the use of pipelines, and to make the building of oil, gas and diluted bitumen pipelines across Canada, to tidewater, and into the United States, a national priority.